Saturday, January 15, 2011

Secrets to London

Okay, I have to be honest. I'm slightly weary of blogging. Who knew the day would come. It's only because I write the same things in multiple e-mails and in my journal so it all just seems repetitive but it's okay. I understand people read this. I'll keep writing. :)

Life in London has started to consist of two things: walking and food. I'm hoping one will cancel out the other but we'll just have to see at the end I suppose. 

The walking we do is around museums and other various historical sites. Since my last post we have walked around Soho, Chinatown, Trafalgar Square, Victoria and Albert Museum, British Museum, around Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, Bath, going to Chicago and 39 Steps, Portobello Road,  and Camden Market. Phew. This doesn't even include a lot of getting lost and walking to and from tubes and such. Phew. Considering we've done so much walking today, just thinking about it makes me exhausted.

Now fooooooood :) We get fed breakfast and dinner here at the center so we're on our own for lunch and treats. And we definitely eat treats. We have gone out for crepes probably at least 3 times this week and then cookies and other things. We just need something sweet after every meal so we have to get it somehow! My favorite so far has been a raspberry tart I got at Patisserie Valerie and the strawberry cream crepe at Creme de la Crepe. Yum. Also, every time we go to the grocery store we buy the three essentials: candy, bread and cheese. Good cheese is super cheap here and so good so that has become a great midnight snack.

Another thing to know about London- any accent or ethnicity is acceptable, except being an American. No one else gets looked down on or annoyed at unless you are an obnoxious, stupid American. It's okay. I've accepted it and still refuse to fake an English accent.

Well there you have it: the secret ingredients to a great London adventure. And it's still only just beginning. I'm sure I'll go get a treat tonight in fact.

1 comment: