Sunday, June 5, 2011

21 Reasons to Celebrate

I think as I start to get older (yes, I know I'm not that old) I start to think less of my birthdays just because I guess I feel like celebrating a birthday is a little kid thing. With the balloons, the elaborate princess cake, huge birthday parties with clowns and crazy decorations, it seems like it's a little dated for me to do. 

BUT, just about a week ago I was reading a blog and the woman who was writing said that she thought that birthdays were always worth celebrating because it symbolizes a year of learning, experiences and life.
So true. 

I have to be honest and admit that last year on my 20th birthday I felt like my mortality was coming to a close. My June birthday where I would enter a new decade of my life coincided with the fact that I had completed my second year of school and was therefore halfway through my college years. YIKES. My poor friends that were so good to celebrate my birthday were bombarded with my negativity about getting old. But little did I know at the time, that my 20th year would be INCREDIBLE. Easily the best of my life thus far.

So this year as I ended that amazing year, I was a little sad to see it end just because it seems so unbeatable. But really, if my 20th year could be so unexpectedly fabulous, why can't my 21st?

Today at church someone made a comment saying that she had someone ask her what she wanted her kids to know about specific times in her life and then to LIVE for whatever that was. I thought that was really great advice so I think I'll take that on as my "21st Year Goal". 
Living for what I want.

So as I celebrated this year I was spoiled with great family friends, a returning missionary, great old friends, study abroad friends, work friends and everyone in between. It's always a nice reminder that you're loved and that maybe birthdays are worth celebrating.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I hope your 21st is just as great as your 20th. That sounds like the perfect birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dido! This post made me so happy :) we really have been spoiled this past year but I think we can make this next one even better. Loving your blog cute girl.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete