Friday, June 17, 2011

Time of Your Life

Lately, I think I've been experiencing a lot of "deja vu". Annie graduated today and everything that has been going on is really reflecting back to my life a few years ago. But here I am on the other side. 
[granted, Annie is way cooler than I am so imagine her life... downsized and that's how I experienced it all]
Last night all her friends came over to help her pack for college (check out this for more), they were all giddy with excitement of going into a new exciting future but at the same time, there were a lot of other emotions involved. They were hugging each other, possibly holding back tears and just thinking about the future of their friendship. 
I thought back to this happening to me and wished I could really explain how much it really does work out. It's scary and new but it's great. How do you really make people understand things like that?

When I graduated (slash went to college in the same week), me and my two best friends had a teary melt down in my room, I recruited friends to help me pack, I did every "Herndon" thing I could think to do before I left. Then I left, and it was okay. As I listened to the hopeful and inspiring remarks of all those that spoke at the graduation ceremony (Annie included), I realized how true it all is. Our futures are up to us and the world is at our fingertips begging for us to grab opportunities and be happy about it. 
Now here I am, on the other side of it watching Annie do her thing. She's heading off to BYU and I'm all excitement. She has no idea what she's in for, which is a great thing. Now the things from high school I thought I couldn't live without are just a fleeting memory as I experience bigger and better things. Bigger lessons to learn, amazing friendships to be made, and adventures to be had.
But I know, high school is always a part of us. 
It's where we come from and it's impossible to completely leave it behind.

One of Gretchen Rubin's (The Happiness Project) splendid truths is that the days are long but the years are short. Doesn't high school feel that way? You're days are packed with activities, homework, friends and sports. But then four years passes you by.
The same thing happens in college and I'm already feeling nostalgic about it.
But for now, I'll celebrate high school with the class of 2011.
Happy Graduation. 
You're off to bigger and better things whether you realize it or not!

2 comments:

  1. Sara, you're a precious sister. Second, why did you choose that picture of us at our graduation?? I look like a freak. Well, a usual look for me I'm guessing you're saying in your head, but seriously,that one? Anyways, Annie if you read this... you're gonna love the college life! Stay focused, have tons of fun, and do big things in life. That's my advice coming from such an experienced scholar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks tanner. i'll take that to heart for sure. :)
    love you sara. what a good example you are to me. :)

    ReplyDelete