Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kids Say the Darnest Things

This summer I returned to my job as a "recreational leader" (aka camp counselor) for a group of 1st and 2nd graders. While I may not remember every funny thing that has happened this summer with those munchkins, I have to admit I do really like my job. I'm exhausted and frustrated at the end of every day but I always have a story to share.

One of my favorite overheard conversations between 2 boys: 
"When I grow up, I'm going to go to a government building, use one of their machines and get super powers!"
"Are those even real?"
"Of course they're real! Like Captain America!"
"DUDE! Why didn't you tell me about this sooner!?"

Not all of my time spent with the little ones was fun and games though, it has given me a boatload of experience. I have talked to kids about how their parents are getting a divorce, dealt with behavioral issues that are much deeper than they appear, helped kids who are overwhelmed by family situations, and dealt with unmentionable amounts of injuries and bodily fluids.

It's an incredible feeling to be loved by these kids. To be the one they run to when they're upset. Whether it be your boyfriend breaking up with you (the couple in question was 6 and 8 haha), your older brother hurting your feelings, missing your mom and dad, none of the kids being nice to you, feeling sick or just needing someone to cuddle with. It's priceless to those kids and to me as well. I love being "Miss Sara".

The summer's over and after some fist pounds, hugs, final pokes and tickling I said goodbye to Summer Fun. Thanks for two good summers.

And if you want to hear any more stories about throwing rocks, punching kids in the face, me getting pinched, my supposed wedding that got planned, rumors about my co-workers or who the favorite kids/counselors are... let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment