Monday, August 29, 2011

Stepping Out

Here we go, Fall Semester 2011.

Usually in preparation for a new school year I am stressed. I am running around enjoying the last of summer freedom, giddily setting up a new apartment, running endless errands and getting all my school supplies all ready. This year seems different though.

As I packed to come out to school I was very relaxed, stress free even. I'm moving back into my same apartment so things are already pretty settled here. I do have some errands I'm doing but I am really just not feeling the stress too much. 

Thinking back, I haven't been my stressed out self in quite some time. Being in London and spending the summer at home really took a lot of the stress out of my life. No need to make big decisions, no real time crunches, no day-to-day scheduling and to-do lists. So now as I head back into a new semester, I'm stressed about being stressed. Silly or what?

I'm a little worried I've taken on too much. As of now I'm in enrolled in 16 credits and have a job. There may have to be some readjusting but I'm just really jumping in head first here. 

I just finished reading a book by Noelle Hancock called, My Year with Eleanor. It's based around the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt:
It's all about facing your fears. Whether they be skydiving or having an uncomfortable conversation.

So in preparation for this semester I'm ready to take on Eleanor's advice and do things that scare me. I'm a pretty introverted person, not necessarily shy but I don't particularly thrive in new situations. So a new semester where everything is new and changing... not my greatest time to shine. But, I'm going to really try and fight my instinct to put my iPod in and walk in solidarity to class, to pick the row with the fewest people so I can be left alone, to only go to parties where I know the majority of the people there, and to only talk to my friends. 

I'm pushing the boundaries this semester. You can hold me to it. While I may not be doing anything radically crazy, I'll be stepping out of my comfort zone for sure. 

Step 1: conquer my new job as a TA in a department I'm not entirely familiar with and doing something I'm not entirely comfortable with. It'll take some adjusting. 

3 comments:

  1. proud sister right here. (meaning me.) love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! Go get em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just come across your site as I was looking for some images. I had to stop and look at the Sara picture as I am too a Sara without the h :)
    I love that you have taken ER as a role model and are following her advice. Keep pushing that comfort zone!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete