Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Where are you from?

At the beginning of the new semester there's one question that quickly follows asking for your name...
"Where are you from?"

It's a simple enough question but my answer to that question has been teased since I came to college 3+ years ago. (yes, it's been that long!) I always say:
"Northern Virginia, right outside of DC."
What's wrong with that? Well, apparently it's me having an attitude about where I'm from. I'm not the only one who does it, we all get that response those of us from NOVA. It's because we are not from just Virginia. We're from Northern Virginia. It's different. 

Some of the things that mean you're from Northern Virginia:
  • You take major highways to school (66, 28, 50, 95 etc)
  • You constantly complain about there being nothing to do, even though you're right next to DC
  • You have at least 2 friends who have no idea what their parents do because it's "top secret" government work
  • It takes 15 minutes (at least) to get everywhere, regardless of how far away it is
  • Local news is national news
  • Despite the fact that Virginia fought for the south in the Civil War, you are NOT a "southerner"
  • The cars in the student parking lot are worth 3x those in the teacher parking lot
  • There are at least 3 malls within 20 minutes of your house
  • When traveling, you can choose between 3 airports
  • An inch of snow means you miss 3 days of school
  • You're driving on the beltway at 2am and there's still traffic
  • 9:30 isn't just a time, it's a place
  • If you stay on the same road long enough, it'll have 3 different names
  • The beltway isn't just a road, it's a border
  • You've been to Williamsburg on at least one field trip in your life
  • You tell West Virginia jokes
  • Your remember the blizzard of '96
I'm proud of my status as a Northern Virginian. It may get some eyebrow raises and some follow up questions, but I love it. And I'm sure everyone can agree that they know someone from the area and it is indeed pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower. I might be going back a few posts, but I absolutely love this list!
    If you asked me where I'm from, I would most likely say Maryland. The problem is that it was 6 years ago when I last lived there. I have been living in Germany and now Thailand. I wasn't even born in Maryland. I was born in England. My dad didn't work in Maryland. He worked in Virginia. So, it's a pretty complicated question for me. Luckily, I plan on attending college in Virginia next year (I'm a senior now) and one day, will be able to say Virginia!
    I still love the list because I have a lot of friends from NOVA or DC :)

    Lauren
    prettylightsinthesky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete